In the Chinese zodiac it’s the year of the dragon…as in MY YEAR people!!! DRAGONS ARE AWESOME….happy dragon year to all the dragons out there!!! Make sure you wear your red undergarments! (It’s a Chinese thing…for good luck) I already got mine ready to go.
ANYWAY…this post isn’t about dragons, it’s about NEW YEARS RESOLUTIONS! They’re always easy to make but, it’s the follow through that’s important…and I ALWAYS FAIL at the follow through. Maybe this year if I make them known to everyone I’ll actually feel more pressure to actually DO IT. Here’s my list of twelve new years resolutions…I was going to do 20 but 12 is more reasonable…maybe.
12 Resolutions for 2012:
1. EXERCISE - I need to introduce physical activity into my life, preferably something that does not involve running. Law school is not conducive to a healthy lifestyle that’s for sure. I’m wayyyyy too lazy for my own good.
2. SLEEP on a Decent Schedule- ok yeah I know this and exercise are super boring and generic resolutions but I seriously need to fix my sleep schedule, I feel like a freaking vampire in the winter because I sleep at 5am and get up at 3pm…especially during exams. I’m so pale my hands practically glow in the dark.
3. Organize Finances – I am HORRIBLE at keeping track of my expenses…I need to learn how to be an adult and keep track of where my money goes. They need to teach this in high school…I don’t understand how something as important as tracking your finances is not a teachable subject in grade school. That and how to be a decent human being.
4. Eat Less Sugar – I don’t really eat much in terms of snacks in between meals, but I do eat a whole ton of candy and drink a lot of Coke because I can’t drink coffee. Sugar is the only way I can keep myself going during school (bad I know), but it’s seriously bad for my waistline and my health. Gotta cut back, even though it’s going to be really hard, I’m like a sugar addict.
5. Patience - Among my many many virtues…patience is NOT one of them, at least not anymore. I used to be very good about not getting agitated under certain circumstances, but I just don’t handle stupidity as well as I used to. I know that might sound horrible, but it’s the truth. I try really hard to give people a chance, and to be nice to them but I have a threshold just as anyone else does for certain types of people and situations. The only reason why patience is on my resolution list is because I don’t feel like it’s worth it to get myself all worked up over something that is completely trivial and irrelevant to my life and wellbeing. Sometimes you just have to let things go, and not let them bother you, otherwise it’ll just be never-ending.
6. Worry Less - I feel dumb sometimes because I worry about everything, even though I’ve been very fortunate in my life and don’t really lack anything. The what ifs really start piling up when things don’t go exactly the way that I plan. I know that I need to learn to let go and let things develop as they will, instead of trying to hold on to every single little morsel of my life.
7. Smile More – Most of the time even when I feel like I’m smiling it doesn’t actually translate as a smile on my face, it takes so much effort for me to smile big enough that people actually think i’m smiling…I DON’T UNDERSTAND. I’m always actively trying to be smily, so I’m super mindful of it because even random strangers on the street are like, “why so sad? Smile more!” WHAT THE HELL IS THAT???? Soooooo yeah, I need to work on my smile a bit more. Seriously though, my face just naturally looks un-smily, it’s NOT MY FAULT I SWEAR.
8. Be Nicer to the BF – Poor Gary takes the brunt of my stress with school since he’s around me 24/7. Once you get too comfortable with someone, it’s hard to hold back what you’re feeling and thinking…at least it is for me. It’s an understatement to say we’ve had a rough year what with him looking for a job in LA and me trying to survive law school. 2012 is looking a lot better though so hopefully things will only get better from here. I need to make more of an effort for sure, he is my best friend after all.
9. Streamline Morning Routine – it takes me wayyyyyyyyyyyy too long to get ready in the morning, especially on the weekend. It takes me at LEAST an hour to get ready to go out, starting from showering to going out the door. I’m not really sure how I’m going to streamline my routine, but I’ll let you know if and when it happens. I’m going to make a concerted effort to make this a reality because it’s such a waste of time. I’m just like any other girl who likes to look their best at all times, but sometimes I feel like it’s not really practical nor necessary.
10. Eat More Regularly – I lost a lot of weight in the last month of school because I would only eat one meal a day. I wasn’t doing it intentionally, I would just not be hungry, and forget to eat. It’s really out of character for me because I LOVE food. Luckily I’ve always had a fast metabolism, otherwise I’m 100% sure I wouldn’t be at the weight that I still am now. Regardless, eating a regular and consistent diet is important no matter the age, and I’ve seriously been failing to follow my own rule. Gotta get back on track.
11. Be More Organized – I love to organize when I have time, but now I need to learn to make time for myself because time is not something that I have a lot of. I can’t just sit there for 4 hours and organize my makeup cabinet like I would want to; like go through all the different types of makeup, and label my MAC eyeshadow pallets by color. I need to learn how to take the time to do things that I want to do.
12. Spontaneity – I’m about as spontaneous as a 75 year old grandmother. I have my weekly routine down, and there’s no room for anything different. At least that’s the way it seems at this point. When I see my friends posting messages on Facebook about going out or traveling to another country it makes me want to do the same, even though I’m stuck in my routine rut. I think the problem is I’m not really good at researching and organizing outings. It’s just way too much effort to look for new activities, even though LA is full of fun things to do. So…I’m going to try to do at least ONE fun and spontaneous activity once a month, and see how it goes from there…can’t get too wild and crazy now.
Those are my 12 resolutions for 2012…I know some of them are next to impossible, but I’m going to try and actually work on these areas of my life because it’s all about improving yourself and reaching the best version of you that’s possible.
I would love to know what your 2012 new years resolutions are! Do you have any that are similar to mine??? Let me know in the comment section below!!!
I want to end with a cute picture of Miya wishing everyone a happy 2012!